We Have Moved
The IBM Application Gateway has a new home - docs.verify.ibm.com/gateway
The documentation on this site will no longer be maintained after v21.02, please update your bookmarks.
Inserting Content into Responses
The IAG provides the ability to insert content into HTTP responses for a specified URI. This is commonly referred to as content injection.
The following diagram outlines content injection processing:
The available configuration options are defined in the Content Injection YAML reference.
The location can be either matched against a full line in the response, or any specific text in the response. This is controlled by the 'full_line_match' configuration entry.
Full Line Matching
- The location can be pattern matched against a line in the response using the '*' and '?' wildcard characters;
- The maximum length of a line which can be matched by this mechanism is 8192 bytes;
- The pattern match is case-sensitive.
The content is then inserted immediately before the matching line.
- You must include a new line character at the end of the content if you want it to be inserted as a separate line. Otherwise, IAG adds the content to the start of the matching line.
Partial Line Matching
- An exact match is required when performing a partial line match. In other words, pattern matching characters are not supported.
- The text comparison is case-sensitive.
The content can either be inserted immediately prior to the matching text, or it can replace the matching text. This is controlled by the 'replace_match' configuration entry.
Using a simple HTML page:
<html> <body> Insert content before here: Data More data </body> </html>
The following example will insert a line of text before the string 'Insert content before here':
policies: content_injection: - name: inject_text paths: - "/myapp/sampleResource.html" location: "Insert content before here*" content: "<hr/>This text was injected using content injection.<hr/>"
Requests to https://<IAG container>/myapp/sampleResource.html will return a HTML page that contains the injected content.
<html> <body> <hr/>This text was injected using content injection.<hr/>Insert content before here: Data More data </body> </html>